- How Long is the Race ?
- Half Marathon - 13.1 Miles
5K - 3.1 Miles
- When Is the Race?
- Sunday, August 18, 2013
- Half Marathon - 7:00am
- 5K - 6:45am
- What are the qualifications to enter the Half Marathon?
- A time limit of 3 hours (13 min. 45 sec/mile) for half marathon will be strictly enforced. The course will close according to the 3 hour pace (i.e. runners must be off Harbor Island (8.3 miles) by 1 hour 54 minutes. The Finish Line will close at 3 hours - Finisher medals will be presented only to half marathoners finishing under the 3-hour time limit.
Due to the fact that our scenic running course uses a large part of busy Harbor Drive, Harbor Island, and the Embarcadero and that there are numerous marinas, restaurants, churches, and tourist attractions along or near our race route, we ask runners to keep a minimum pace per mile.
In an effort to open the course back up to the community, participants must be able to finish the half marathon course in 3 hours (13 min. 45 sec./mile pace). The time limit is necessary to ensure the health and safety of all participants as the public roadways must be opened to normal traffic at specified times. Runners exceeding that pace may be asked by a course marshal or San Diego Police Officer to finish the course on an adjacent sidewalk or take a shuttle van to the finish. PLEASE DO NOT ENTER THE HALF MARATHON IF YOU CAN NOT MEET THE 3-HOUR TIME RESTRICTION.
You must be able to finish the 5K course in one hour.
- Is there a training program?
- Yes. There is an
online training program for athletes located anywhere.
- Can I drive to the Half Marathon Start?
- NO. You must take the shuttle bus
from the finish area to the race start. There is no private vehicle
access to Cabrillo Monument on race morning.
- Where and when do I catch the bus to the Half Marathon?
- There are two bus stops near the finish line where you can catch the
bus to the start. The first is the corner of Presidents Way and Park
Blvd. The second is the corner of Zoo Place, and Park Blvd. The Finish Area map shows
the bus loading areas.
The busses leave from 4:30 AM to 6 AM.
Allow 30 minutes for parking.
If you are staying at the host hotel, your room package includes bus
transportation from the Sheraton to the start areas (runners only to
Half Marathon start) and return to the Sheraton from Balboa Park. This
service is only available to registered guests.
- What if I miss the last bus to the Half Marathon Start?
- You may not run the Half Marathon.
- Where is the 5K Start?
- The 5K starts and finishes at the Half Marathon Finish Area in front of the Hall of Champions in Balboa Park
- Where may I park my car?
- You may park in any legal parking lot in Balboa Park. Parking lots
are shown on the Finish
Area map labeled with a "P." The Largest parking lot is the zoo
parking lot adjacent to the Northern bus loading area.
- What do I get for my Fee?
- Finishers receive technical fabric, gender specific T-shirts; Transportation to Race Start; Finisher medals for Half Marathon runners
finishing the course under 3-hours; Refreshments; Specially Commissioned Awards for Top Finishers; Mayor's Trophy to Open Winner;
Award to Top Female Finisher; Awards for Top Age Division Finishers.
Chronotrack RFID timing.
- What is the refund policy?
- All entry fees are NONREFUNDABLE and NONTRANSFERABLE with the following exceptions ONLY:
Runners registered in the half marathon who are not able to run may transfer their
AFC race entry to another person during the period JUNE 22 TO JULY 19 (5 p.m. PDT) ONLY.
The period allowed for tranfers is over
Active duty military members who are unable to participate because they are unexpectedly
deployed may receive a refund
less a $15 administration fee. To qualify you must submit a copy of your official military
orders along with a written request no later than 10 days prior to event day.
Send military requests to:
AFC Military Transfer
c/o In Motion, Inc.
6116 Innovation Way
Carlsbad, CA 92009
- When and where is the Expo?
Complete Fitness Expo Information
Two-day AFC Fitness Expo at SHERATON SAN DIEGO HOTEL & MARINA
Fri. Aug. 16, 12 noon - 7 p.m. and
Sat. Aug. 17, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
for bib number, Chronotrack RFID timing tag, & T-shirt pickup. NO day of race registration, bib number or
Chronotrack RFID timing tag pickup for Half Marathon.
There will be NO Half Marathon Registration at The Expo. Enter Now
5K Registration will be accepted if space is still available. The 5K sold out prior to The Expo the past 3 years.
T-shirts are also available for pickup after the race in Balboa Park.
- Can I pick up my Half Marathon bib & Chronotrack RFID timing tag on raceday?
- No. All Half Marathon numbers must be picked up at the Expo on Friday, Aug. 17 or Sat. Aug. 18.
There will be absolutely no Half Marathon bib pickup on Sun. Aug. 19. In the past there
had been pickup available on raceday in Balboa Park to handle special problems. However,
over the past several years this courtesy service has been greatly abused. Therefore,
there is no half marathon bib pickup on raceday.
- What Facilities are on the course?
- Aid Stations at 3, 4, 6.5, 8, 10.5, 12 miles and finish:
water, spray and electrolyte replacement drink
Splits at every mile and 10km.
Restrooms located at Start, 2, 3.9, 5.2, 5.6, 6,
7.2, 7.9, 9.6, 10.2, & 11.8 miles, plus finish area in Balboa Park.
- Will there be a beer garden at the finish in Balboa Park?
- No. Because of liquor liability and insurance issues, beer will not
be served at the conclusion of the race.
- Will medals be presented to finishers?
- Yes, commemorative finisher medals will be presented to Half Marathon
runners who complete the course in under 3-hours. There are no finisher medals for the 5K.
- What are the categories for age-group awards?
- Age-group awards will be presented for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place for Male & Female divisions in both
the Half Marathon and the 5K in the following categories:
17 & under; 18 - 24; 25 - 29; 30 - 34; 35 - 39; 40 - 44; 45 - 49;
50 - 54; 55 - 59; 60 - 64; 65 - 69; 70 - 74; 75 - 79; 80+; and Wheelchair (pushrim)
- What is the Prize Money?
- See the Prize money page.
- What is the average weather on raceday?
- 68 degrees F, 70-80 percent humidity
- When will the Results be posted?
- Results for top finishers available immediately: others may see
times on digital clock: complete results posted at Post Race Festival.
Complete results will be posted on the Results Page at by 3 PM PDT on race day.
- What is the Half Marathon Triple Crown?
- See the Half Marathon Triple Crown Information Page
- Why did my GPS device record a distance greater than 13.1 miles
for the AFC half marathon course?
- The AFC Half Marathon course is certified using USA Track & Field course measurement criteria employing the use of an
Alan Jones counter (certification # CA11106RS). The course is measured along the shortest distance between the start
line and finish line, which entails taking the straight line tangent on all curves. It is virtually impossible for
anyone to run the course exactly as measured, even the front runners.
A GPS device measures distance wherever you go during the race. If you go to the side of the road to a water station,
the GPS records this extra distance. If you zig-zag around other runners in the first few miles, the GPS measures
the extra distance. Wherever you do not run the short line tangent in the road, the additional distance you cover
is measured by the GPS. A GPS device, worn in a race, will always record a distance greater than an accurately measured course.
- How do I contact a real person?
- Race Information
Administrative Office - 760.692.2900
Neil Finn Sports Management, Inc.
PO Box 81023
San Diego, CA 92138-1023
- What is the date of the 2014 race?